Friday, September 17, 2010

Pita Wrap Bread




I love pita bread. It is soft, chewy and delicious. I love to make gyros, chicken sandwich wraps, or just gnaw on a big ol' round of it. It is delicious. Usually I would just buy it at the store, but then I saw on the King Arthur Flour Website Blog a recipe for it and it also popped up on one of my favorite blogs Mel's Kitchen Cafe. I knew I had to try it, and boy am I glad I did!

Initially I was intimidated. Could I possibly make my own pita bread? Could I produce such a blissful food? Oh yes I did!! For this recipe, the toughest thing was finding the yeast. This isn't the usual active dry yeast, instead, this is an instant yeast found in the refrigerator section that is more like a crumbly paste. It is very different to work with, but it turned out great!

The fresh warm pita bread that came off my griddle was pure heaven! Never again will I buy the pre-made packaged stuff at the store. I'm now an official pita bread snob.


Pita Wrap Bread
From Mel's Kitchen Cafe
Yields 8 bread rounds
7 POINTS+ per bread round

3 -3 1/4 c. unbleached all-purpose flour
1 1/2 c. boiling water
1/4 c. potato flour or 1/2 c. potato buds or flakes (I used potato flour)
1 1/4 tsp salt
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp instant yeast

Place 2 c. flour in bowl and pour boiling water over top of flour. Stir until smooth. Cover bowl and set aside for 30 minutes.

In seperate bowl, whisk together potato flour & 1 c. remaining flour with salt, oil and yeast. Add this to cooled flour/water mix. Knead for several minutes by hand or mixer to for a soft dough. Dough should be somewhat sticky but will be fairly stiff. Add additional flour (1/4 c.) only if necessary. If kneading by hand keep hands and surface lightly oiled. Place dough in greased bowl. Cover and let rise 1-2 hours (I did 2 hours and it was perfect).

Divide dough into 8 pieces. Cover and let rest 15-30 minutes. Roll each 7"-8" circle and dry fry with oil in a griddle or skillet/fry pan. Fry until puffed and flecked with brown spots, over medium heat about 1 minute per side. Do not cook too quickly or slowly or they will dry out or have raw middles.

Transfer to rack and stack them to keep them warm and soft. Serve immediately or cool completely before storing in plastic bag.


Transformed into a Chicken Bacon Ranch Wrap...Yum!



No comments:

Post a Comment