Thursday, September 9, 2010

Hamburger and Mushroom Stroganoff

I love Beef Stroganoff. Sad to say, I haven't found the perfect recipe for real from scratch Beef Stroganoff. My meat is usually dry and my sauce isn't very flavorful. So far, I've tried about 3 or 4 different recipes and cooking methods. However, this stroganoff is pretty darn tasty. This isn't usual Beef Stroganoff, because it uses hamburger and canned Cream of Mushroom Soup. This is also much quicker than traditional stroganoff. There isn't any cutting up of the meat and browning it in batches.

This recipe is actually from the back of a bag of Creamette Egg Noodles. I did modify it slightly. The original recipe calls for canned mushrooms. I love mushroom and much much much prefer freshly sliced baby bella mushrooms. I also added way more than the original recipe calls for. This way I'm am making it slightly more figure-friendly and upping the fiber content. Plus, it really stretches this recipe. Sometimes I just use 1 package of baby bellas and sometimes I use up to 2 if I happen to have that many on hand. The recipe calls to be served over egg noodles, but it would also be great over rice as well.

This comes together in a cinch and I always know that it will be a warm and comforting meal. My quest continues for the perfect traditional beef stroganoff with pieces of tender flavorful meat and a perfect homemade cream sauce, but for a weeknight meal this one is a definite keeper for a quick and easy stroganoff. (Also, I know the pictures don't look that appetizing, but trust me, this tastes way better than these pictures look).

Hamburger and Mushroom Stroganoff
Serves 6-8 
8 servings = 10 PTS+ per servings
6 servings = 13 PTS+ per serving
Adapted from Creamette


1 pkg (1 lb.) Creamette Extra Wide Egg Noodles**
1 lb. lean ground beef, 93/7
1/2 c. chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 Tbsp. flour
2 tsp. beef flavor granules (or 2 cubes instant beef bouillon)
1/4 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
10 3/4 oz can Cream of Mushroom Soup, 98% Fat Free
1 c. water
1 - 1 1/2 pkgs Baby Bella Mushrooms, sliced and sauteed (try to saute in cooking spray and chicken or beef broth for a low cal saute, or add appropriate points to saute in your healthy oil)
8 oz sour cream, reduced fat
2 Tbsp chopped parsley

Cook noodles according to package directions.

In large skillet, over medium heat, brown beef. Add onion and garlic, cooking and stirring until onion is tender. Add mushrooms. Stir in 1 Tbsp flour and bouillon and pepper. Cook 1 minute. Add water and soup. Bring to boil and simmer 15 minutes. Combine sour cream with remaining 1 Tbsp flour and parsley. Stir into beef mixture. Heat through, but do not boil. Serve over hot noodles.

**To lessen the pts, reduce the amount of pasta in your serving.  If you omit the pasta from your PTS+ totals this recipe equals:
8 servings = 4 PTS+ per servings (add PTS+ for pasta)
6 servings = 5 PTS+ per servings (add PTS+ for pasta)


No comments:

Post a Comment