Sunday, September 12, 2010

Chicken Salad Sandwiches


Lunchtime is always one of my greatest struggles. I want something that tastes great, but doesn't require a lot of prep time and usually it needs to be portable to take to work. I don't like to eat last night's dinner for lunch because chances are since I'm only cooking for the 2 of us, it will be making a second appearance on leftover night. This chicken spread is just the answer for the lunchtime rut. It takes some prep work on one day and stores great for lunches to come. It is tasty and satisfying, plus packs great for work lunches.

Now, I'm quite familiar with the typical chicken spread, and let me tell you...this isn't it! This has so many great extras to take chicken spread to the next level. Cardamom is the secret ingredient, giving it a warmth and spice that had my husband dumbfounded asking me "What is that?!?!" Now, I can't take the credit for coming up with adding that ingredient on me own. It was my dad, brave in the kitchen as he is, that came up with it. We are all hooked!

To keep this chicken spread tasting the best and with the best texture, leave out the cashews and grapes for fridge storage and only stir in what you need so they stay crisp and fresh tasting. There is no right or wrong measurement to the grapes and the cashews, just add enough for your own preference. I also find that the best mix for these "salad" type sandwiches is using both miracle whip and mayonnaise. The mayonnaise adds the texture and richness, while the miracle whip keeps it from being too rich, adds some tang and cuts down on the fat and calorie content. Serve this up on some nice bread, croissant (if you are feeling especially naughty), or even on a bed of lettuce (if you're into that kind of thing). I'm salivating already!

Chicken Salad Sandwiches
Makes 1 big batch, probably enough for 8-10 sandwiches

4 medium to large chicken breasts, cooked and cooled (I usually poach mine)
3/4 c. miracle whip
3/4 c. mayonnaise
1/4 c. onion, chopped
1/4 c. celery, chopped
1/8 tsp cardamom (or more to taste)
Scant 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste
Cashews, roughly chopped
Red Grapes, halved

Pulse chicken breasts in food processor to desired consistency. (A nice medium chunkiness is usually what I like.) Mix chicken, celery and onion in large bowl. In separate bowl, combine mayonnaise, miracle whip, garlic powder, and cardamom. Stir into chicken mixture. Salt and pepper to taste. Adjust other seasonings to taste. Cover and chill. Mix in desired amount of grape halves and cashews prior to serving.





No comments:

Post a Comment