Monday, July 20, 2009

Amazing Pumpkin Muffins

So the weather was chilly here in good old Minnesota for a few days. This got me on an absolute Fall kick...I know, I know it's still July. But, the crisp cool 60 degree weather kicked my pumpkin cravings into full gear. I got this recipe from my mom. It's super easy and so delish! These muffins are moist and dense, actually they are much more like a cupcake. I top mine with Fat Free Cool Whip and a drizzle of caramel sauce and a sprinkle of cinnamon...yum, yum, yum! Now I know some people would wonder why I would use Cool Whip let alone Fat Free Cool Whip. I'm not going to lie, I much prefer real whipped cream from scratch, but this is quicker since I usually use these muffins as a quick snack or dessert..and not going to lie even breakfast. (And by the way, these are even better topped with the real deal whipped cream).

Another shocker about this recipe is that it uses boxed cake mix. Now, I rarely ever use boxed cake mix, but these really do turn out amazing, and you can hardly tell it's boxed mix. I recommend using the Duncan Hines Super Moist variety.


Pumpkin Muffins
Yield: 18 muffins

1 box Spice Cake Mix
1/4 - 1/3 c. unsweetened applesauce
15 oz. canned Pumpkin

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin pan with foil muffin cups. Combine all ingredients in large bowl. With the applesauce, add at least 1/4 c. and up to 1/3c to get a smooth consistency (Note: this batter will be very thick). Beat thoroughly with a hand mixer. If you don't beat the batter well enough, you'll end up with hard spots in your muffins. Pour equally into the muffin pans. Bake for around 12-15 minutes or until tops of muffins spring back when touched. Remove from muffin pan and cool on wire rack. Top with whipped cream, cinnamon, and caramel sauce.

*Note: I prefer using foil muffin tins because they don't stick to your muffins and are easy to pull off.



Looking good!


My mediocre attempt at making my plate pretty.


Oh it was so good, I could have licked the plate clean.




1 comment:

  1. Those sound so good! I'll have to try them soon. First I have some rhubarb nut muffins I've been meaning to make for a while.

    ReplyDelete