Saturday, January 15, 2011

Hot Cocoa


Hot cocoa is the quintessential  winter treat.  As soon as the weather turns brisk, I'm busting out my saucepan to make some warm beverages to fill my cold tummy.  I used to always buy the hot cocoa packets, until I stumbled upon this recipe.  My eyes were opened to the sheer awesomeness of homemade hot cocoa, and I was a changed woman.  Once you make homemade hot cocoa, it will be hard to go back to the packaged variety.

This is a pretty simple recipe for homemade hot cocoa, but I like this for my everyday go to cocoa.  It is not too rich or too sweet.  I always have the ingredients sitting in my pantry, and this cocoa comes together in minutes.

Hot Cocoa
Yields 1 serving

*3 POINTS+ per serving

1 c. skim milk
2 tsp. sugar
2 tsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsp. water
1/4-1/2 tsp vanilla extract

In a mug, combine the sugar, cocoa and water.  Mix up to make a paste.  In small saucepan, heat milk stirring occasionally.  Do not boil milk.  Pour milk into mug and stir gently until combined with chocolate paste.  Stir in vanilla.  Enjoy!

Change up flavors by subbing out other flavor extract such as raspberry or orange.


No comments:

Post a Comment