Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Bacon, Asparagus and Parmesan Egg Bake


I love egg bakes. They combine so many of my favorite things about breakfast into one bite...eggs, cheese, hashbrowns, cereal, veggies...oh, yum! Not only are egg bakes delicious, but they are such a low maintenance breakfast. They are truly one of my favorite ways to make Saturday morning breakfast when I have to work later in the day. I don't have to spend time babysitting something at the stove and doing tons of dishes from prep work. I can just pop it in the oven and sit down and enjoy my cup of coffee. Oh egg bake, I love you. My preference for egg bakes are the ones with the hashbrowns baked into them instead of slices of bread. Don't get me wrong the bread ones are good too, but I'm a hashbrown girl at heart.

This egg bake was a shocker for me. This isn't your typical combo of egg bake suspects. Parmesan makes a lovely appearance in this one and it adds the perfect touch. Asparagus is your veggie friend here and it is perfect for spring and summertime when asparagus is at its very best. The original recipe calls for ham, but I much prefer the salty smokey bacon for this one.


Bacon, Asparagus and Parmesan Egg Bake
Yield 12 servings
Adapted from Betty Crocker



1/2 -1 lb. bacon, cooked and cut up
1 lb. fresh asparagus, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 bag (30 oz.) frozen shredded hashbrowns, thawed
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
12 eggs
1 1/4 cup milk
1 (8 oz) container sour cream
2 tsp lemon-pepper seasoning
2 tsp. ground mustard
1 cup cornflake crumbs
2 Tbsp. butter, melted

Spray 9x13 glass baking dish with cooking spray. In large bowl, toss bacon, asparagus, hashbrowns, onion, and cheeses. Spoon into baking dish.

In same bowl, beat eggs, milk, sour cream, lemon-pepper seasoning & mustard with wire whisk until well mixed. Pour egg mixture over potato mixture. (Baking dish will be very full) Cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.

Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Uncover baking dish; bake 35 minutes. Meanwhile, in small bowl, toss cornflake crumbs and butter.

Sprinkle cornflake mixture over partially baked egg bake. Bake uncovered 30 to 35 minutes longer or until knife inserted in center comes out clean an thermometer inserted in center reads 160 degrees F. Remove from oven; let stand 15 full minutes before serving.

**Make sure the casserole meets the center temp and sits for a full 15 minutes otherwise you'll have a soupy mess in your pan**



No comments:

Post a Comment