Sunday, August 30, 2009

Grandma Bush's Oatmeal Cookies



I love oatmeal. Put it in a cookie and it is even better. I remember having these cookies when I was little and they are delicious. No raisins, nuts or chocolate chips in these. Just pure delicious oatmeal goodness. They have an amazing crispness outside and a nice tender chewy inside. These are phenomenal. This recipe is from my Grandma Bush. She makes some of the best sweets from homemade carmels to bing bars to sugar cookies and these fantastic cookies. Now this recipe calls for shortening, normally I like to substitute butter for shortening because it has more flavor, but in this recipe you MUST use shortening. It just won't turn out the same with butter. I recommend taking these out of the oven just when the outside of the cookie begins to brown and the middle is still slightly soft. As they cool, the middle becomes tender and chewy. If you prefer a crispier cookie, just bake them slightly longer and they are still fantastic.

Oatmeal Cookies:
1 c. shortening
1 c. brown sugar
1 c. white sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 c flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
2-3 c. oatmeal (I use 3 because I like a lot of oatmeal)

Cream together shortening and sugars. Mix in eggs and vanilla until well combined. Mix in flours, salt and baking soda. Combine well. Stir in oatmeal. Drop onto cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and bake at 350 for 10 minutes. Remove to a cooling rack. Yield 32 cookies.




5 comments:

  1. sometimes the best cookies are those older, straight forward and no messing with fancy schmancy recipes...right?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the foodie blog roll! I will have to try out your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cookies look great. Hope to make them as soon as the temperature drops below 90.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, if it calls for shortening in a cookie, you kinda have to go with it. I love a soft and chewy center to this kind of cookie. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey there. I noticed you just joined FoodieBlogs & wanted to say that damn... your food looks awesome. I'm alreay wanting to make the chicken hotdish you have one entry before this. Great work & keep it up

    ReplyDelete